Sadly I haven't quite finished the tutorial I was making about creating that perfect dome........ I will have to push it further up the priority list!!!
Yesterday however, as it was pouring with rain, I had the urge to bake. As Valentine's Day is nearing, I decided to make red velvet cupcakes. Now I have made them before and with success, but failed to taste that wow factor about them, until yesterday!!!
I decided that I was going to create "my" ultimate red velvet cupcake, a taste that I would fall in love with! So after a bit of searching, I came across these 8 simple rules for the authentic Southern Red Velvet speciality:
1. There should be some cocoa.
2. Use red food coloring.
3. Must have cream cheese frosting.
4. There should be pecans. (this I didn't know and didn't use on this occasion!!)
5. Use high-quality ingredients.
6. Precise measurements and meticulous attention to detail.
7. Use a hand-held electric mixer so as not to over-mix the batter.
8. Use vegetable oil.
So I tweaked my old Red Velvet recipe and method to incorporate the rules above and made a batch. It wasn't long after piping on the cream cheese frosting, that I discovered what all the who-ha was about. These cupcakes were so moist, so soft, so red and ooooohhhh so delicious!
|My "ultimate" red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting|
Lemon drizzle is going to be the next flavour I am going to rediscover. I may just find it in time for Easter at this rate!!